ABC Blogging Challenge
With a new host I continue to take up the weekly ABC Blogging Challenge. This round I am choosing photos from the past and present to represent the letter. Sometimes the picture will be of something that starts with that letter and other times they will represent a concept.
I am including three photos this week all taken of the National Cathedral in Washington DC during our trip there September 2010. I had never really even seen photos of the National Cathedral before our trip so I was eager to see it. Hayden really loved seeing all the unique gargoyles and even pretended to be one. Hannah thought it was fun to find the Florida seal in the floor. I was impressed with all the rich architectural features and it made me remember my semantics class when I study terms in high school.
It is a working cathedral so there are times when services are being held. But there is a vast museum and lots of rooms and displays to keep you busy for quite a long time. There are also outdoor spaces where you can stop and reflect and have a quiet moment.
You can check out the official Washington National Cathedral site for all kinds of information but I am including a few of my favorite facts here.
- Darth Vader can be found at the National Cathedral
- The North Tower is the only place in North America where you can find both peal and carillon bells.
- There are 112 gargoyles and 288 angels
- Woodrow Wilson and Helen Keller are two of the 220 people interred there.
- The National Cathedral was completed 83 years to the day from when it was begun.
Join the ABC Blogging Fun
Use the graphic below to find out how you can participate in this round of the ABC Blogging Challenge.